You have questions...we have answers!
Do I have to audition to be part of the choir?
- Nope. For youth who are joining, or those whose voices may be changing, our music director will spend a few minutes to assess what voice part would be most suitable for their range. If you're an adult and it has been a while since you have sung, you may not be sure what part you sing. Our music director can run through the same process to help ensure you're singing the part that is best for your range.
- We are an intergenerational community and welcome choir members from 7 to 70+. Rehearsal time for youth runs approximately 90 minutes and we require active participation. Adults typically rehearse for 2 hours, with a short break in the middle. So we do ask that choir members be able to stay engaged in rehearsal for up to 2 hours.
- Our rehearsals are typically on Wednesday evenings. A typical rehearsal schedule is as follows:
- 6:30 to 7 - Youth warm-up and rehearsal
- 7 to 8 - Youth and adults rehearse together. Youth (those under high school age) are dismissed at 8.
- 8 to 9 - Teens and adults rehearse
- Our rehearsals take place in Denver, near Broadway and Speer. For the safety of our youth, we ask you to contact us if you're interested and we will provide the address of our rehearsal location.
- It is imperative to our mission that cost never be a determining factor for anyone interested in participating in the choir. We will work with you on a payment plan or on volunteer opportunities to compensate for reduced dues.
- For youth, there is never any cost to be part of the choir.
- Adult choir members pay $75 per season. This helps cover the cost for our youth as well as accompaniment and music costs.
- We welcome everyone! One of pillars of Soar is diversity. We embrace our varied backgrounds, races and ethnicities, faith traditions and belief systems, gender identities and expressions, neurodiversity and physical differences.
- Experience with foster care or adoption is not a requirement. Patience, respect, and participation are.
- Soar is a non-religious choir. Many of our concerts have taken place at churches but we do not have an affiliation with these religions or institutions. We have found that other non-profits recognize our budget constraints and can support us through donations of space and sound equipment.
- As a choir, the music we sing comes from around the world. We may sing pieces that come from spirituals and hymns but these are selected for their historical context and musicality.